Eight families have been displaced by this 2 alarm blaze at Shreveport's Aspen Apartments complex in southwest Shreveport (Source: Robert Shell)
(Source: Melissa Bibby)
SHREVEPORT, LA (KSLA) -
Eight families were displaced by a fire at a southwest Shreveport apartment complex Sunday afternoon, and firefighters say a safety feature built into more modern buildings could have limited the damage.
Firefighters responded to the 2-alarm fire at the Aspen Apartments on Baird Road in Shreveport at 5:14 p.m. They say it took 14 units about 40 minutes to get the blaze under control.
"A few families hurt worse than others, I'm one of the fortunate ones, I got to keep my stuff, now I just got to find a new place to go," said Clifford Nelson, a tenant who was displaced.
Nelson, like several of his neighbors, was able to salvage a lot of his property. The Shreveport Fire Department reports that the fire moved fast throughout the attic.
Scott Wolverton, the chief safety officer, tells KSLA News 12 that there were no firewalls in the attic, a safety feature that's built in to all apartments.
The Aspen Apartments were built before that fire code was adopted.
No one was hurt, but the building has been determined uninhabitable.
Assistant Fire Chief Fred Sanders says investigators believe the fire started in an upstairs apartment. The investigation into how the fire started continues.
Thursday, January 29 2015 8:58 AM EST2015-01-29 13:58:02 GMT
When Dr. Tim Jacks took his 3-year old daughter, Maggie, to get routine lab work done after her latest round of chemotherapy, he thought everything went well.More >
Dr. Tim Jacks got a phone call from a Phoenix Children's Hospital representative telling them that someone with measles had been at a specialty and urgent care center in Mesa at the same time as his 3-year-old daughter, who is fighting leukemia.More >